Disclaimer: I was sent on an all expense paid trip to #ABCFamilyEvent and given the opportunity to screen an episode and meet some of the cast and crew. All opinions are my own & I was not compensated.
If you aren’t watching Chasing Life right now you might want to start watching it! This show is so good and I am addicted! Every Tuesday night I get so excited to watch the new show! I was behind about 4 shows after it first aired in June and I totally binge watched each one of them on Hulu! The show is about a young girl named April, played by the beautiful Italia Ricci, who finds out she has cancer and still needs to live her life. During the time I interviewed her, she told us that “Cancer has much power as you give it.” This is the one show where you absolutely fall in love with every character. It is a drama, but it is life. You will smile, laugh, cry. Perhaps, even relate to the situation that April is going through. So many people have had to deal with someone close to them having cancer that it is about time there is a show about it. Time to let other aware of the feelings and trials that people are going through.
Last month I flew out to L.A. for an experience of a lifetime. While I was there, I had the opportunity to meet and interview Mary Page Keller (plays the mom), Italia Ricci (plays April), Haley Ramm (plays April’s sister, Haley), & three of the executive producers Sean Smith, Joni Lefkowitz, and Susanna Fogel. So during each round table, we talked, we asked questions, we laughed, we shared. Here are some of the notes that I took during these interviews. These are things I learned about them and I wrote them all out to share with all of you!
Mary Page Keller: She plays Dr. Sara Carver which is the main character’s mom. Her daughter is April who has cancer. She was very sweet and loyal and she is made for this part in the show!
- She is a mom of two boys (17 & a 20 year old).
- Very grateful that her two boys are healthy.
- She says she is blessed to be doing this part.
- Italia and Haley are the daughters she never had.
- Reading the script and the writing is like Christmas to her.
- She tries not to over think her part.
- She knows people who have gone through the same situation her character is going through.
- Mary explains to us that she has to have a spontaneous response as the story unfolds.
- She likes NOT knowing what her character is going to go through.
- Her neighbor is in the same situation that her character is going through and she wasn’t really sure how to approach it.
- Tries to live her life like you know there is an inspiration
- When she was first given the script her husband read it and told her she has to do it.
- Parent Tip: “They are who they are at the end of the day without your input. You need to embrace it.”
- Mary unwinds from her day by cooking, and “not by drinking wine”.
Sean Smith: Executive Producer
- Before working on Chasing Life, worked on Greek.
- Loves being a part of a family show.
- Leo came in during the 2nd episode and was his favorite character to write.
- The first person casted was Mary Page.
- When Italia came in to the audition she was just dressed perfect for the part too. She just fit.
- There will be more of Beth and Breanna in the upcoming shows.
- The show was based on a Mexican drama for the pilot.
Italia Ricci as April. Italia has the leading role in this show. It is all about her life. She finds out she has cancer as her career is advancing. You fall in love with her character and after meeting her, I fell in love with her. She is so sweet and down to earth.
- Totally like her character in real life.
- Although she has cancer, she doesn’t make it her life. She told us, “Cancer only has the power you give it.”
- She likes to unwind with wine. (To me this is funny since her and her mom bump heads in the early episodes, in real life Mary Page was specific on telling us not to wind down with wine.”
- She loves reading the good reviews!
- She is from Canada.
- She personally hasn’t had anyone close to her have cancer. So she is acting on how she would act if being put in that situation.
- She is concerned and sensitive to those who have to fight and deal with this in real life. She even spoke and said, “Cancer, you suck!”
- Her and Italia bonded together through shopping
- She doesn’t relate to her character very much. She was actually homeschooled.
- Her character makes her feel better about herself.
Haley Ramm plays Brenna who is April’s sister. She is rebellious, she is trying to figure out who she is and is really struggling with her sister’s cancer.
- Parents love the show.
- Boyfriend’s family si super in to it.
- Her best friend’s mom wants to know everything.
- It is weird to see herself on TV.
- From Dallas.
- Her family made a big sacrifice and moved to LA.
- The toughest scene was the intervention. They had to do that scene for six hours.
Joni Lefkowitz and Susanna Fogel: Executive Producers
- Favorite scene is the Christmas episode where Ed Esner guess stars.
- They love al the scenes with Greer
- They love how the family never asks her to explain herself
Tune in at 9:00pm ET/PT on ABC Family.
Official ABC Family “Chasing Life” website: www.abcfamily.com/chasinglife
Twitter: Twitter.com/ChasingLifeABCF @chasinglifeabcf #ChasingLife