Needing to tighten the budget a bit, but aren’t sure where to cut expenses? Try these 15 tips and leave your own in the comments.
1. Get rid of cable, or switch to a basic package. If you need your TV fix, try [Netflix or Hulu] for less than $10 a month. Still not ready to ditch the cable? Bundle with your phone and internet to see how much you can save.
2. Unplug all electronics (including your microwave!) at night, and when not in use.
3. Use rainwater, collected in a 5 gallon bucket, to water your indoor plants. Some people even use pasta water (you know, the leftover water you have when you cook pasta)!
4. Turn off the water while brushing your teeth, or shaving. Take quick showers, and don’t forget to turn your water heater down a bit.
5. Consider taking the bus instead of using your car if you live in an area with public transportation readily available. If you are going to use your car, use gasbuddy.com to compare gas prices.
6. Use the coupons to save on your grocery bill. Keep a pricelist so you know what you should be paying each time you make a trip to the store.
7. Eat less meat. Try Meatless Mondays, or try eating meat just once a week. It can easily slash your grocery bill in half. Also, don’t forget to plan your meals. It will save time and money.
8. Instead of buying cold cereal and pop tarts, try oatmeal with cinnamon added. It’s much cheaper and healthier.
9. Make your own shampoo (or go no poo!), deodorant, and laundry detergent.
10. Wash your laundry in cold water. Dry your clothes outside, on the clothesline.
11. Plan a staycation instead of a vacation. A staycation can cost as little as $100, whereas a vacation is hard to keep under $1000!
12. Make your own baby food – or if your kids are older, pack their lunches. Pack your own lunch as well. 🙂
13. Use cloth diapers! The cost may seem higher up front, and it is, but it saves a lot (and the environment) in the long run!
14. Ask your doctor for the generic of any medications you are taking or find a prescription savings card. While the name brand may cost $100, you may be able to get the generic for as little as $4 at some pharmacies.
15. Search knock-off recipes of your favorite dishes from restaurants. Prepare them on a Friday night as a special treat, combine it with a movie night, and save yourself lots of money!