If you are new to Cricut and you have heard people talk about a Hot Mess Canvas and a Reverse Canvas they are both two different things. I wanted to share how to create an Easy Hot Mess Canvas and also distinguish the difference between both projects. This post contains affiliate links at no cost to you. It just means that I might make a small commission if you purchase something through my links.
A Hot Mess Canvas is when you take a Canvas and paint it all different colors then you apply vinyl that you created with your Cricut and then Mod Podge and Paint over everything including the vinyl. You then go and peel your vinyl exposing the pretty colors behind it. I think of it like those scratch board we use to create when we were younger.
A Reverse Canvas is basically removing the canvas part off of a frame, applying heat transfer vinyl (iron-on) and then stapling it back to the frame. Making the canvas part reversed so the frame shows.
I decided at the bottom of this post I will embed both examples so that you can watch for yourself.
Cricut Hot Mess Canvas
1. Take your canvas and using acrylic paint, paint several color dots all over you canvas. If you want your canvas to be black overall, I would leave some white from the canvas to make it pop a bit.
2. Once you have made your canvas colorful and it is all painted. Choose a design from Cricut Design Space (check out their sign up program for Cricut Access to tons of photos or use your own).
3. Cut your design and there is no need to mirror it. Be sure you use Cricut Vinyl (do not use permanent vinyl).
3. Cut and weed your design, then apply your transfer tape to your weeded design.
4. Apply your vinyl on your dried colorful canvas.
5. Use Mod Podge to cover around the vinyl letters that when you do your overall color it doesn’t bleed.
6. After you let the thin layer of Mod Podge dry after about 5 minutes, then choose one solid color (I prefer black or white) and paint over your entire canvas, even your vinyl. You might need to let it dry and do a second thin coat of paint to cover your original color canvas.
7. Once your canvas has tried, use your Cricut Weeder to help you pull the vinyl off your canvas exposing your original design.
8. Apply hanging velcro strips to the back and hang it up where your heart desires.
Hot Mess Canvas vs. Reverse Canvas Videos
Watch this video of me creating a Hot Mess Canvas.
@enzasbargainsWait til the end. Made this cute Hot Mess Canvas for my class. ##crafting ##diy ##craft ##crafts ##cricut ##canvas ##kindness
Now here is a video of me creating a Reverse Canvas.
@enzasbargainsWorking on some custom Christmas gifts! Who can hear my dogs at the end? 🤪 ##myhobby What should I make next?
You can also learn how to create a Cricut Reverse Canvas step by step in my tutorial!