I sat down for an exclusive one on one interview with Director Cindy Chupack from the new Netflix Movie, Otherhood. I learned a lot more about the movie after our Q&A in Kansas City! Cindy’s personality is so kind and friendly it isn’t a surprise that she loves to write and direct about relationships.
Otherhood is about three moms whose sons have all grown up and have ignored them. They all grew up together as kids but are all living their own separate lives. It hit home this specific Mothers’ Day. The moms said that they aren’t “Mothers” but they are “Others”. So they went on a mission to try to help their sons and rekindle that relationship and they went off to New York! The movie has such a strong cast with Patricia Arquette, Angela Bassett, and Felicity Huffman.
I am so excited to share some of my favorite things that I learned about from this interview.
Top 10 Things I learned from Cindy Chupack about Otherhood and life!
- This was Cindy Chupack’s first time directing a movie! “This was a 10 year journey for me. I came on originally as someone who was asked to do a rewrite.” She talked about how “she took this defensively,” and she loved how there aren’t a lot of these movies out there! She loved how the movie was character based! “I love these relatable stories of women and friendships.”
- “Angela Bassett was first in,” Cindy shared. Once they had her then Patricia Arquette was available and loved Angela and had never worked with her. “All three women were excited to work on a comedy and an ensemble of women.”
- The movie was mostly shot in New York!
- There are so many stories. The friendships between the mothers and sons, the friendships, with their husbands, even a little romance! When you look at it from the director’s eyes, I totally forget how many relationships this movie had and told!
- Cindy’s favorite journey was the one that Angela Bassett went through, but NO SPOILERS…so you will have to ask what Cindy had to say later!
- There was a book called, Whatever Makes You Happy at first and now there is a new release called, Otherhood.
- Cindy talks about “reconnecting” to who you are before when you are going through “Otherhood”. Cindy talked about how we sorta lose ourselves during motherhood and we have to find ourselves again. She sees and hears this with her friends and people she knows in real lives who are going through the empty nesting stage.
- About Cindy’s favorite scene: “I do love the scene how all six of them are all together in the hotel room. I really liked the role reversals.” She loved when she had them all together! During the hotel scene and the end.
- The movie was shot in only 27 days!
- “You don’t have to be a mom to enjoy this!” Cindy hopes that people go away with that, “there is always a way to improve your relationships.” Cindy also went on by saying, “I also hope women start thinking about their stage of otherhood.
After this interview, I spent a little bit of time thinking more about this movie. I came to the conclusion that all husbands need to watch this movie with their wives. This moment in life of “otherhood” is a true emotional experience and is a legit season in a mom’s life. The three different stories of each of these moms are relatable, emotional, and a bit funny! For me, I am still fully in my prime time of “motherhood” that the thought of “otherhood” seems so far away. Really thinking and talking about this time in my life is already a challenge. It is so hard to imagine what life will be like during my otherhood. Will I ever be able to sleep at night without my kids being under my roof? I hope to keep my friends close because I know I will need them a lot when we enter this season of our lives!
Otherhood will play on Netflix on August 2nd! Watch the trailer below: