I was invited to the Walt Disney Family Museum in San Francisco during my Pixar trip for Inside Out where we also learned about Tomorrowland.
If you are visiting San Francisco, you are definitely going to want to visit the Walt Disney Family Museum. If you are an art, history, and/or Disney fanatic you are going to love all of the history in this museum! As you visit, you can go on a guided tour where you are given a headset to be able to hear your tour guide. The entry is filled with tons of awards including the Presidential Metal of Freedom he was given by Linden Johnson. You will also see many Oscars…even an adorable one with 7 small Oscars for his work on Snow White!
10 THINGS to SEE and LEARN at the Walt Disney Family Museum
- Walt moved from Chicago to Marceline to Kansas City back to Chicago for high school and then went back to Kansas City again! I learned that he actually lied about his age to join the military one year early!
- In Kansas City, Walt created Laugh-O-Gram films.
- Educational Opportunities at the Hands On Digital Lab: There is an art and movie lab set up for kids to learn and create their own animations and movies.
One of my favorite features was the stop motion set up with about 3 slides of glass and mounted cameras for kids to create their own stop motion. With the popularity of Vine and Instagram these are getting more and more popular! Thinking of a fun Summer Camp for your kids? This is one of them!
- Gift Shop: Has many unique gifts including the book recently released by one of the Disney’s Pixar’s animators! I also scored a Disney Pin from the Museum for my collection!
- The view: You get one of the most perfect views of the Golden Gate bridge while you are in San Francisco!
- The Steamboat Willie Wall: You can view 348 frames (15 seconds) displayed on a wall in the museum!
- View some of the FIRST sketches of Mickey Mouse!
- Memberships: You can find family memberships to this museum and visit it often! What a great educational way to learn about everything in this museum. I definitely felt information overload BUT if I could just stay for an entire year…I’d probably learn a lot more! 😉
- Tribute Room: There is an entire room with many people sharing their tribute for the loss of Walt Disney. He lived a very short life and was so far ahead of his times it is unbelievable! He passed away just 10 days after his 65th birthday due to lung cancer. He always looked ahead at “tomorrow”!
- To tie in this trip to the museum and Walt always being ahead of his time, you can actually see a piece of Tomorrowland in the museum! With the upcoming movie “Tomorrowland” you can dream like Walt did! When he created Disneyland, he created it for, “where you leave TODAY….and visit the World of YESTERDAY and TOMORROW.” Be sure to go and see Tomorrowland in theaters this week!
From Disney comes two-time Oscar® winner Brad Bird’s “Tomorrowland,” a riveting mystery adventure starring Academy Award® winner George Clooney. Bound by a shared destiny, former boy-genius Frank (Clooney), jaded by disillusionment, and Casey (Britt Robertson), a bright, optimistic teen bursting with scientific curiosity, embark on a danger-filled mission to unearth the secrets of an enigmatic place somewhere in time and space known only as “Tomorrowland.” What they must do there changes the world—and them—forever.
Featuring a screenplay by “Lost” writer and co-creator Damon Lindelof and Brad Bird, from a story by Lindelof & Bird & Jeff Jensen, “Tomorrowland” promises to take audiences on a thrill ride of nonstop adventures through new dimensions that have only been dreamed of.
The film also stars Hugh Laurie as brilliant scientist David Nix, Raffey Cassidy, Tim McGraw, Judy Greer, Kathryn Hahn, Keegan-Michael Key and Thomas Robinson.
“Tomorrowland” is produced by Damon Lindelof, Brad Bird and Jeffrey Chernov and directed by Brad Bird, with John Walker, Brigham Taylor, Jeff Jensen and Bernard Bellew serving as executive producers. “Tomorrowland” opens in U.S. theaters on May 22, 2015.
Like TOMORROWLAND on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DisneyTomorrowland
Follow Disney Pictures on Twitter: https://twitter.com/DisneyPictures