I have tried a lot of Italian Cream Puffs but my moms are the best. This Italian Cream Puffs made with vanilla pudding recipe is my mom’s who is from Italy. The Italian Cream Puffs that have the custard made with vanilla pudding filling are really good and this is my mom’s go to recipe for every celebration. If you love this recipe you will also want to try to the powdered sugar icing filled Cream Puffs recipe. I guarantee that either of these recipes won’t disappoint.
Italian Cream Puffs Recipe Pastry:
2 Cups of Water, 2 Cups of Flower, 8 Eggs, 2 sticks of Margarine
1. Boil the water with the butter. Once it boils add the flour. Stir it until it becomes really thick and sticky dough.
2. Take it out off the fire and add one egg at a time mixing it in rapidly. As you mix them in you want the dough to be the same consistency as the other ones.
3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
4. Spray your cookie sheet with Pam spray.
5. Take a small ice cream scoop and scoop them on two baking dishes. We made 38 of them. After you even them all out, roll them up as if you would with cookies.
6. Right when you place Cream Puffs in the oven drop the temperature to ONLY 375 degrees. Use the middle rack. Then after 10 minutes lower it again to 350. Let them back for a total of 1 hour or when the top is no longer have liquid coming out of it. Check them half way through, and if the tops start to crack or the bottoms start turning a bit brown it is time to move them to the top rack in the oven. We use silver baking pans so if you are using dark pans you might want to start it at 375 instead of 400.
Vanilla Pudding Filling
Now it is time for the FILLING! I used Vanilla Pudding filling!
Box Vanilla Pudding and the ingredients it calls for on the box.
- Follow the directions on the box but instead you will want to use half the amount of milk they call for and add a tbs. of Cool Whip and a few drops of vanilla extract.
Cut the Italian cream puffs half way leaving them attached together once they have cooled. There will be fluff inside and it is easy to scoop the cream in the “puff” part.
Once you have filled them place them on a serving dish, most of the time I like using cupcake liners, and sprinkle with powdered sugar right before serving!